09 Dec 2016
Holiday Throwdown WOD #3:
- Synchro Shoulder-to-Overhead (75#/45#)
- Synchro Front Rack Lunges (75#/45#)*
*Lunges are counted as 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc.
Details for this workout will be explained in more detail prior to the WOD start time.
The FINAL Throwdown WOD will be announced on the day of the competition after all other workouts are performed.
If you are not RSVP’d to compete, come down to spectate and to join in on the potluck!
09 Dec 2016
Holiday Throwdown WOD #2:
4 Rounds for Time of
- 250 Meter Row
- 25 Wall Balls (20# to 10’/14# to 9′)
Split up the work however you like!
Stay tuned for the third throwdown WOD post @ 2pm today!
08 Dec 2016
Holiday Throwdown WOD #1:
10 Minute AMRAP of
- 5 Deadlifts (95#/65#)
- 10 Box Jumps (24#/20#)
- 15 AbMat Sit-ups
Partner A does one full round while Partner B holds their deadlift bar in the finish position. Switch for each round for the full 10-minute duration.
Stay tuned tomorrow for two more WOD releases!
Surprise, surprise folks!
Starting today, we’ll be revealing three of our workouts for our Holiday Throwdown!
Stay tuned for the following announcements:
- WOD #1 Tonight @ 9pm (along with tomorrow’s WOD)
- WOD #2 Tomorrow @ 10:30am
- WOD#3 Tomorrow @ 2pm
*The fourth and final WOD of the competition will be released on competition day (after the first three workouts have been performed). *
More detailed information about the throwdown can be view on the Holiday Throwdown Facebook event page (updated info has been posted regarding road closures along with directions).
At Verve and CrossFit Rosslyn, we know that getting fit takes some serious hard work. It takes a certain mindset to make it through a tough workout while motivating yourself and others along the way. We like to recognize those who not only show growth and determination within our programming, but also inspires others to be their best!
For this Client Spotlight, we are featuring a CrossFit power couple, Lauren and Michael Lee! They are both diligent when comes to their fitness and always bring lively and positive vibes to classes. They are big on motivating each other and their fellow CrossFitters during WODs and are both very engaged in our fitness community. Read their story below!
Please introduce yourselves and what brought you guys to Verve/CrossFit Rosslyn.
We met our senior year of college (JMU) and have been annoyingly in love ever since. We are both 28 and work at Grant Thornton as consultants. We have two cats named Sassy and Barbossa and love to travel! We have always been on again off again gym goers but had never found something that would get us both engaged and excited. It was around 6 months before our wedding when we realized we needed more structure and motivation to get fit and healthy for our big day. We decided to give CFR a shot and we’ve been loving it ever since!
Prior to working out at Verve/CFR, what were your fitness/athletic backgrounds?
We both played sports in high school (Lauren played volleyball and soccer, Michael played football and ran track) and some rec leagues in college. Over the past few years we have run a few 5ks, played co-ed flag football, and survived a Spartan Race.
What were your initial impressions after you guys took your first group class at Verve/CFR?
We started off going to the Foundations classes to really help set a firm base and build confidence in our form and fitness. When we moved on to the WODs it was a love/hate relationship since it hurt so good. We loved the class size; we never felt lost in the herd and were able to get one-on-one coaching.
What were your biggest challenges with starting your fitness regimen at Verve/CFR?
The biggest challenge we found was being confident and making sure to set aside time to get to the gym. Crossfit is challenging and rewarding but it also takes confidence in your abilities, your strength, and what you can accomplish. Going together has been the best motivator as we constantly hold each other accountable and push each other to keep improving. We now schedule our routine around working out instead of trying to schedule working out around other activities. We may miss a happy hour or two, but we usually just show up to most of them a little later!
Please share with us some of your proudest fitness accomplishments!
- For Lauren, it’s her overall strength. I have always been athletic but I would never use the word “strong” to describe me. Now, I feel like I can take on anything (except handstand pushups)! My proudest moments have been doing RX WODs. They aren’t every workout, and sometimes they aren’t strictly RX. But being able to do those max weights is a huge personal accomplishment.
- For Michael, it was being able to recently complete a 10k. CFR helped Michael gain the fitness and drive to achieve this goal. I have been able to go up in weights consistently but always struggle with cardio. CFR has done a great job incorporating all aspects of fitness (strength, cardio, etc.) to help me be better-rounded.
What are your favorite and least favorite exercises?
- Both of our least favorite = Overhead Squats
- Lauren’s favorite is Squat Cleans
- Michael’s favorite is Back Squats
Outside of taking your group CFR classes, what’s the biggest difference that you’ve noticed in your day-to-day life?
- For Lauren, it’s having arm, back, and shoulder strength that she has never had before. The biggest of these is back strength, I use to have a lot of issues because of my back and since starting CFR those issues have dissipated.
- For Michael, it’s feeling healthier and fit! Noticeably having much more energy and less lethargic in general, being excited to go workout and building in more structure to my routine and schedule.
What are your future fitness goals?
- Lauren wants to do a pull up for the first time. That is one thing I have never been able to do, I’m still not there yet but I’m closer than ever before!
- Michael wants to be able to do double unders and climb the rope without burning his hands sliding down.
What advice would you give to someone who is just starting their fitness journey?
It’s a process and doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time to become a habit, but once it does it’s second nature. It takes time to build your strength and endurance, but once it does you are excited to get stronger. We have been coming to CFR for a year and still have moves we need to improve, goals to reach, and weight to go up. But it all takes time!
Share something random about yourselves!
As a baby, Michael was featured in a soap opera and on bill-board. Lauren went to a filming of the Rachel Ray show and won a trip to Jamaica (which of course she went on).
05 Dec 2016
Happy Monday Team!
Check out updated PR’s from last week’s max-out programming!
Congratulations folks! Get ready for the next programming cycle.
Don’t forget to request your own “CFR Personal Record Tracker!” All you need is a Google account and we can share a personalized PR Tracker to you via Google Sheets. It is simple and accessible on your smartphone wherever you go (through the mobile Google Sheets app).
To have it shared with your Google account just email Brittany Garner firstname.lastname@example.org or Matt Lightfoot, email@example.com and we will be happy to send it over! You can ask any of the trainers in person too.