Anyone is welcome to participate in our WOD (Workout of the Day) classes. Unlike the typical CrossFit box, we provide smaller group classes to our members. This ensures that each student receives plenty of attention from our coaches to teach all of the necessary movements and basic techniques of CrossFit, safely and efficiently.
STEP 1: Free Initial Consultation/Intro to CrossFit
Once you've decided that you want to get into the best shape of your life and to be a part of a community of like-minded people, it’s time to book your Initial Consultation/Intro to CrossFit.
Your first session is on us! Do it alone or bring a friend (a valid ID must be presented to prove you’re a local resident). We’ll happily introduce you to the CrossFit methodology.
STEP 2: Group Classes
Foundations Group Classes
Our Foundations classes are perfect for both CrossFit newcomers and seasoned athletes. Learn or brush up on the basics through our Foundations series by attending each of the six classes (in rotation on Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm each week):
- Gymnastics - involves learning kipping, pull-up drills, handstand progressions etc.
- Posterior Chain - involves deadlifts, GHD movements, etc.
- Olympic Lifting #1: The Clean - involves learning the proper technique and progressions into performing the clean.
- Olympic Lifting #2: The Snatch - involves learning the proper technique and progressions into performing the snatch.
- Squats - involves learning air squats, front squats, back squats and overhead squats.
- Press - involves learning and progressing through the press, push press, and finally the push jerk.
Though Foundations classes aren't required for students to step into a regular CrossFit WOD group class, we highly encourage people of all levels to attend this instructional series. As a part of the month-to-month membership, they do not count against classes taken; it's the perfect way to master the basics!
CrossFit WOD Group Classes
Once you feel that you are competent in the CrossFit movements, you are free to begin our CrossFit WOD group classes. All workouts are scaleable to meet your skill level. You will still receive a workout like no other!
During group classes, you’ll push yourself and sweat it out with like-minded individuals, as you compete with yourself (and others, if you choose) for rounds, time, points, glory, emotional satisfaction and spiritual growth. You will reach new physical and emotional levels you didn't think were possible, and you will undoubtedly find yourself with a new social and support network, who will help you on your continued path to greater health and happiness.
Our coaches will always be present at each class; this ensures you will continue to receive technical coaching even as your CrossFit and fitness abilities improve.
STEP 3: Personal Training
At CrossFit Rosslyn, it is going to look a lot different than group aerobics or group body-pump, or a Bootcamp or any other group exercise class.
With that in mind, you can start off by completing a few one-on-one or two-on-one private training sessions, where you will be coached by an instructor. The coaches at CrossFit Rosslyn come from diverse athletic backgrounds and experience, but they all have one thing in common; they care.
During your personal training sessions (the number depends on your personal fitness level and physical abilities), you will become familiar with the CrossFit movements (30-40 movements), things like weightlifting, power lifting, gymnastics and rowing. You will also learn about mobility, injury prevention, and nutrition.
The purpose of doing personal training prior to group classes is three-fold:
- First, CrossFit is incredibly technical – it’s like learning an entirely new sport – so the same way you wouldn’t throw someone off the street onto the Varsity swimming team, we don’t throw people who have never done clean and jerks and snatches and pull-ups and rope climbs right into the intimidating fire of group classes. Instead, we take the time to properly teach you the movements so you’re confident and safe in your abilities by the time you begin group classes.
- Second, one-on-one personal training allows us to address your individual needs, deficiencies, weaknesses and injuries. Everybody needs to work at a different pace, and we want to keep you injury-free to increase your longevity.
- Third, we believe relationships with the people around you are going to enrich your life, and your relationship with your coach is no exception. We want to get to know you, your fitness goals, what’s going on in your life, and what you need from us to help you succeed.